Grape jelly is sweet, tangy and utterly delicious! You can use it in your cooking in a variety of fresh, innovative ways like in jelly-filled pancake roll-ups, as a sweet glaze over smoked meatballs or turkey sausages, as a delectable BBQ sauce for your chicken wings, as a filling in mouth-watering jelly doughnuts, and/or in old favourites like PB&J sandwich recipes using grape jelly, or in desserts of any kind.
The list is endless; you’re just limited by your imagination.
Here is an easy recipe for making homemade grape jelly in half an hour or less:
5 cups grape juice, fresh and unsweetened (or 3 1/2 pounds of ripe grapes)
1 (1 3/4 ounce) box of pectin
6 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1. Sterilise, wash and dry the jars for storing the jelly.
2. If you’re using fresh grapes, make the juice using clean and washed grapes.
3. Add water to the grapes and boil and simmer covered for 10-12 minutes.
5. Strain and squeeze out all of the juice with a jelly cloth.
6. Heat the juice and add the pectin.
7. Keep stirring on a medium heat.
8. Remove from heat when mixture becomes lumpy.
9. Cool and store.